Edible Insects Recipe: Baked Eggplant with Walnut Worm Cream
May 5, 2019
May 12, 2019
May contain affiliate links.
This is such a delicious dish. It is good for beginners since you can not see the the worms and it therefore becomes less scary. The worms add an umami taste to the walnut crème.
Recipe contributed by THE BUG LADY
Total: 30 mins; Serves 4
- 3 eggplants cut into 1½ cm thick slices
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt; to taste
- Freshly ground pepper; to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley; coarsely chopped (to garnish)
WALNUT WORM CREAM
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 75 g buffalo worms
- 100g (3/4 cup) walnuts
- 1 large clove garlic; crushed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 dl (2/3 cup) cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C. Cut the eggplant into slices, approximately 1 1/2 cm (1/3 inch) thick. Brush them on both sides with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and freshly grated pepper, and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake Eggplant for approximately 20 mins, then take out the eggplant, flip over, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, for a total baking time of about 35 minutes.
2. While the eggplant are baking, coarsely chop the parsley, and set aside. In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and use it to sauté the buffalo worms. Add curry, garlic and walnuts, and keep stirring. Next, add the cream, and bring to a boil. Season with salt before removing from heat, allowing to cool just enough so it won't damage your food processor, and pour into blender. Blend into a smooth cream. By now your eggplant should be nearly ready to come out of the oven. When Eggplant are ready, use a spoon to pour the creamy worm paste over the baked eggplant slices. Sprinkle with parsley, and serve immediately.
Follow THE BUG LADY on social media:
This entomophagy recipe is included in Bugs for Beginners, a cookbook which teaches Westerners how to prepare edible insects and safely eat a bug. Text may include affiliate links
I'm Mic. I love reading about, writing about, thinking about, photographing, and especially eating, food. Especially bug food. Enough talk, let's eat!