Edible Insects Recipe: Citrus Hopper Brownies with Candied Chapulines
Dec. 1, 2019
May contain affiliate links.
Chef PV is a culinary thought leader, transforming what we eat and what we think about what we eat. His is a platform of sustainability, Entomophagy and social and political awareness. As a Full-Spectrum Chef, and progressive voice in the food industry, PV is making profound change more digestible and delicious for everyone. Chef PV recently relocated to Texas from New York City, developing a farm that will serve as an educational facility and retreat center.
Recipe contributed by DON PEAVY
Total: 1.5 hrs; Active: 30 mins; Serves 4
- 1 cup Merci Mercado ground grasshoppers
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mint leaves; finely chopped
- ½ cup Merci Mercado chapulines
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 6 medium eggs
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 450°F/232°C. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together ground chapulines, ginger, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Set aside. In a small mixing bowl, mix together yogurt and mint, then set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
2. In a small pan, saute chapulines over medium heat in 1 tbsp coconut oil & ¼ cup maple syrup until caramelized.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk 6 eggs with ¼ cup maple syrup until well combined and creamy. Add pumpkin puree to egg mixture and whisk until completely incorporated. Add this wet mixture to chapulines mix and whisk until completely combined.
4. Grease foil-lined baking cups with coconut oil, place the cups on a baking sheet, fill the cups with batter, then place in oven to bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes, until foil wrap can be removed without damaging the brownies.Top each muffin with mint yogurt, raspberries, and candied chapulines.
Follow DON PEAVY on social media:
This entomophagy recipe is included in Bugs for Beginners, a cookbook which teaches Westerners how to prepare edible insects and safely eat a bug. Text may include affiliate links
I'm Mic. I love reading about, writing about, thinking about, photographing, and especially eating, food. Especially bug food. Enough talk, let's eat!