Cricket Powder Recipe: Quinoa Cricket Taco "Meat"
Alternative protein source for meaty tacos
Sept. 23, 2018
Jan. 5, 2019
May contain affiliate links.
These tacos might even be better than the actual “meat” kind. Quinoa and cricket powder combine for a super healthy protein, and all the spices combine for a crazy tasty flavor. So tasty in fact, that I prefer them with minimal toppings, but feel free to go crazy!
Recipe contributed by Lithic Foods
Total 30 mins; Serves 6
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups broth or water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup Lithic pure cricket powder
- 3 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 scant tsp salt
- Big pinch black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cook quinoa with 2 cups broth or water, per package instructions. Let cool 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, sautéed onions, cricket powder, all spices, salt, and pepper. Mix well until evenly coated.
5. Pour mixture onto baking sheet and spread out into even layer.
6. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until quinoa is golden brown and slightly dried out. Stir mixture halfway through to ensure even cooking.
7. Serve as desired, or on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and lime.
Follow Lithic on social media:
This recipe is included in Bugs for Beginners, a cookbook which teaches Westerners how to prepare and safely eat insects. Text may include affiliate links
I'm Mic. I love reading about, writing about, thinking about, photographing, and especially eating, food. Especially bug food. Enough talk, let's eat!