Entomophagy Recipes: Mealworm Mac & Cheese Souffle
March 24, 2019
May contain affiliate links.
Chef PV is a culinary thought leader, transforming what we eat and what we think about what we eat. His is a platform of sustainability, Entomophagy and social and political awareness. As a Full-Spectrum Chef, and progressive voice in the food industry, PV is making profound change more digestible and delicious for everyone. Chef PV recently relocated to Texas from New York City, developing a farm that will serve as an educational facility and retreat center.
Recipe contributed by DON PEAVY
Total: 1 hr; Serves 4
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- Salt; to taste
- Pepper; to taste
- 1 cup smoked gouda cheese; shredded
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup bugeater foods mealworm macaroni pasta;cooked
- ¼ cup mealworms; thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/176°C. In a saucepan melt the butter, add the flour, and stir on medium heat for a minute. Add the milk, gradually while stirring to avoid lumps. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir the sauce until sauce thickens. Remove saucepan from heat and mix in the cheese until melted.
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolk and mix into cheese sauce. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold the cheese sauce into the egg whites until well combined.
3. Butter the ramekins then fill a little more than a third of the way with mealworm macaroni pasta, Fill the ramekins to almost full with cheese sauce then top with mealworms. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake souffles on the middle rack for 15 – 20 minutes until the surface becomes golden. Serve immediately.
Follow DON PEAVY on social media:
This entomophagy recipe is included in Bugs for Beginners, a cookbook which teaches Westerners how to prepare edible insects and safely eat a bug. Text may include affiliate links
I'm Mic. I love reading about, writing about, thinking about, photographing, and especially eating, food. Especially bug food. Enough talk, let's eat!